The Life and Times of Bitsy Ramone

I want to tell you a story. I want to tell you about my life or at least the soundtrack to it. Music is the largest part of my life. It's all about discovering and re-discovering music and perhaps a little bit of myself on the way. This will be done through words and videos and reminisces from the past and present. Along with the usual gig reviews and pictures, we shall be interviewing people about their influences too.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Trapped in a Box, No More

I thought it was coming but I have been in denial for so long. Yes, I think Gwen Stefani has finally disappeared up her own arse.

Has the adulation and iconic wonderment of others upon her in recent years finally caught up with her? Has being the media and style darling of the high fashion monthlies and red carpet diva-like moments of oscar nights and the like finally popped Gwen's credibility bubble?

What happened to the spunky young thing that did this?

It pains me very much so as a long time No Doubt fan. For nearly, 10 years now. I am quite willing to admit that the first time I heard the crooning of Don't Speak in early '97 (thanks to a certain girl from Leeds), I really turned my nose up at it. That was until I heard Just a Girl and eventually discovered the ska-punk brilliance of the album that the song was lifted, Tragic Kingdom, at a tiny little record store in Bognor Regis.

It baffled me before this point why exactly the likes of Kerrang! (hard rock UK magazine) were giving them such worthwhile coverage (in particular their spectacular live shows that January in London). I really couldn't get enough and didn't until I got the chance to see them when I eventually arrived in London myself in early 2002. By this time, they were fairly removed from the Tragic Kingdom era band and had moved into some ragga tip ska thing that was bordering on a bit of a bore. The magic was still there in the show though and I was brought to tears at the Brixton Acadamy, when they finally bounced on to the tune of Hey Baby.

So it is with great sadness to now witness the video for new single, Wind it Up.

Before we get onto the pseudo-Busta Rhymes imagary of the video, this slunky Missy Elliot cast off not only lacks the vision it aludes to in its concept, but its Sound of Music sample and incessant and irritating constant yodelling are just cringeworthy.

It's very depressing indeed. I couldn't even watch it until the end.

I wasn't convinced the first time she marching band her way into a solo career a year or two ago, despite my enjoyment of What You Waiting For?, not surprisingly the Linda Perry track. This is reminiscent of Hollaback Girl from the last album to the point where it could almost be a remix and that would be due to both tracks being co-penned by The Neptunes/Pharrell Williams. Awful, truly awful and very sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home